Am 24.03.2009, 16:03 Uhr, schrieb Nina Lafayette <nina.lafaye...@gmx.net>:

P.S.: A 64bit version of Lyx 1.6.2 for debian would be highly appreciated.

Regards, Nina

Am 24.03.2009, 15:29 Uhr, schrieb Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de>:

Hi folks,

isn't there anybody who can put the debian binaries for Lyx 1.6.2 on a Web
server? This would be great!

Thanks,
Nina

On 2009-03-24, rgheck wrote:
Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

... I wonder whether somebody has used the alien prg for the SuSe rpm
package. Is it recommendable or better to use the source code?

Once you get used to it, using the source is very easy.

But until this, you may spend some time trying (I spent months).

In fact, even better, download the 1.6 branch from svn and compile
that. Then keep it up to date, recompile it every once in a while, and
you'll always have the absolutely latest fixes, without waiting for a
new release.

Seconded.

To do this, make sure you have the toolchain installed: autotools, make,
gcc. You'll also need some devel packages, though I'd be surprised if
pulling in the devel package for Qt4 wasn't enough to pull in the rest.

Under Debian, you can install all that is required to compile lyx with
`apt-get build-dep lyx`.

Then make a directory for the sources and do this:
# cd /my/src/dir
# svn co svn://svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_6_X
# cd BRANCH_1_6_X
# ./autogen.sh
# ./configure --enable-build-type rel --prefix /usr/local

---that last is of course optional, but then you won't overwrite the LyX
package.

I use

    ./configure --with-version-suffix=16 --enable-build-type=release

so that I can start the packed version (1.6.1 here) with `lyx` and the
home-grown with `lyx16`. This has also the effect of using separate user
LYXDIRS (~/.lyx vs. ~/.lyx16). The --prefix /usr/local seems to be the
default.

# make
# sudo make install

And there you go. Absolutely up to date.

And for moving the binary to another machine:

  # "make DESTDIR=/tmp/lyx-svn install"
and then make an archive of everything in /tmp/lyx-svn.

Günter