On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 06:38:35 +0000 (UTC)
Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> wrote:

> On 2009-04-05, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >    I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable
> > solution for collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and
> > only futz with formatting when you agree on a final version. It may
> > not look pretty, but it's efficient.
>
> This does not work for math, references, citations and hence is not
> advisable for scientific papers.
>
> Also, the section structure might be more sensible to have early in
> the process.

The math point may be valid, but there is nothing to prevent the other
items from being done in a plain text format with some minimal markup
language. ReST (restructured text) has quite a rich set of markups that
are easy to include. ReST certainly encourages a section structure.
Even emacs outline mode will provide the section structure - used in
conjunction with Muse mode, you get a lot of the other stuff as well.

Alan