> Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want
> to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or
> LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and
> another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate
> ensued :-)

I've been using "structure markup" as The Natural Way to work with documents
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even
heard of the existence of LaTeX or SGML.

> But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an
> outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often
> get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to
> text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I
> think we all have.

In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people
work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that -
A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed to figure out how
to copy and paste content from two different versions of a document, which are
both perfectly well "styled" and which were created using the same "template"
in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...)
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's "Reveal Codes", which allows you to see what's wrong
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the "tags" and edit them directly.

> With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the
> doc
> uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document
> class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm
>
> So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs
> that format themselves into uselessness.

You can mess up a document with "finger-painting" in LaTeX/LyX as well,
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang