Ehud Kaplan schrieb:

But the white space around the graphics itself persists.

Because your image contains the whitespace. I converted your image to a PDF as I assume that your document should also be a PDF and removed the whitespace. (You can insert images to LyX in every format, but they can only be embedded to the resulting document PDF output when they are in the format PDF, JPG, PNG, or GIF. When you use another image format like EPS, LyX has to convert the images to one of the four formats in the background which extends the document compile time when viewing/exporting it.)

There were two other problems:

- you scaled the image absolutely, but when you want to control the whitespace, you need to scale the image relatively to the column width. When you e.g. set your wrap float to 50% column width and do the same for your image you get no whitespace. When you set the image to 40% column width, you get some whitespace around it.

- when you want the figure centered you can set its paragraph to centered and don't need to use a LaTeX command But when using wrapped figures one often wants the image to be aligned with the text column border. So in your case I would set the paragraph where the image is in to right aligned.

In a separate email I attached the example file.

regards Uwe