Just my two cents worth:

1) I like the lyx format as it is BECAUSE it is not compressed, so I
would definitely not change the default format.

2) I like the idea of an export format, which effectively compresses
all files necessary into a single file. This is very nice for
archiving final documents (lets call it .lyxa for lyx Archive).

3) .lyxa should represent a directory tree, in which subfolders hold
pictures, bibtex, ... files.

4) .lyxa should be usable directly, i.e. the .lyx document should be
modified during export to contain only a) relative paths which b) only
are in subdirectories of the location of .lyx

5) .lyxa should contain information of the original location of the
foles on the system where it was created, to be able to update the
files not in the subdirectory.

6) One should be able to open a .lyxa file (which would modify the
files in the .lyxa but not the original location information (from 5))
or imported (showing the differences of the files in the .lyxa and the
original files and update the files when confirmed from the ones in
the .lyxa)

In this way, the .lyxa could be used as a colaborative tool (original
author exports, sends .lyxa to other authors, they open it, save it,
send it back, oroginal author imports it and confirms the files which
should be overwritten) and as an archive tool of finalised documents.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug, Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology,
Stellenbosch University, South Africa