2009/4/29 Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com>:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> In my opinion, LyX is exactly the right tool for what you're doing. With its
> WYSIAWYG (What You See Is Almost What You Get) environment, you can pound out
> content as fast as your fingers can type, and never have to spend time
> remembering codes or have codes get in your way when proofreading. Almost all
> appearance will be done by styles, so during authoring you needn't spend time
> fine tuning the look of the book. And because LyX uses LaTeX under the hood,
> your book comes out typeset very pleasingly.

I'm currently working my way through the tutorial and the user's
guide, and already I'm impressed at how nice output looks. I can't
quite put my finger on what it is, but there's definitely something
slick about it.

> I've used LyX to write a 309 page 8.5x11, a 201 page 8.5x11, a 231 page 8.5x11
> eBook, 2 more eBooks in the 100+ page range, one that was 90 pages, and I'm
> working on one that's probably going to weigh in at about 150.
>
> You mentioned this is a programming book and you want to avoid getting painted
> into corners. You need to figure out ahead of time what styles you'll need.
> You'll definitely need a paragraph style for code (paragraph styles are
> called "environments" in LyX). Personally I make my own (mycode), which is
> really just a copystyle of lyx-code. You'll also need a character style for
> code (mycodec).
>
> Presumably you're going to need styles Tip, Warning, Caution, and Note for
> callouts. You might also need a generic callout, so if you want a box with
> heading DON'T RETURN A LOCAL POINTER FROM A FUNCTION and text explainging why
> the pointer went out of scope, you can do so.
>
> If necessary I can send you my code for these styles.

I would like that very much! I tend to learn things faster/easier when
I have some actual working "code" to look at.

> I'd suggest you read all the LyX help files, especially the customization one.
> I'd also suggest you read "Litt's LyX Library" at
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/index.htm. Search the Internet for a
> doc called "TeX for the Impatient" and read it. There's also a "Not So Short
> Introduction to LaTeX" or something like that, read it. The Memoir document
> class has some must-read documentation -- read it, but I don't recommend you
> actually use the Memoir document class. A guy named Herbert Voss, who used to
> be a mainstay on the LyX list, has a website with all sorts of cool LaTeX
> riffs. Last but not least, there are a few dead-trees books on LaTeX. They're
> expensive, but helpful. By spending the first 3 days of your project reading,
> you'll understand all the corners you can get out of, and you'll probably
> discover any you can't.

All good stuff. Thank you.

> Remember when you're creating your styles that they don't have to be perfect
> the first time around -- you can change them later. Make em quick and dirty
> at first, but just be sure to use them every time. The docs on my website are
> a pretty good reference for how to make your own styles.

It appears to be quite an involved process, but I'm sure I can manage,
and if not, I can always post here and hope for some expert
assistance.  :o)

> Now I'm going to give you some very controversial advice, and many will argue
> with it. DO NOT use the facilities of your document class for your
> frontmatter -- instead use custom styles and ERT (inserted LaTeX code) to
> fine-tune your front matter exactly how you want it. There's nothing sadder
> than the guy who picks a document class to get the frontmatter just right,
> and then has to live with that document class's ideosyncracies throughout the
> book. Personally, I always start with the plain old Book document class, and
> use a layout file to add the features I need.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean: If I don't use any of
the styles of a document class, why use the class in the first place?
Or am I missing something?

> You've picked a great tool to write your book.

I'm sure I have. I look forward to learning how to use it.

/Thomas