On May 1, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean: If I don't use any of the styles of a document class, why use the class in the first place? Or am I
missing something?

When you select a document class it provides all the typographic styles you need ... unless there's something specific and non-standard. The layout of an article is different from that of a report, and both are different
from that of a book.

Rich

When Rich wrote

DO NOT use the facilities of your document class for your
frontmatter -- instead use custom styles and ERT (inserted LaTeX code) to
fine-tune your front matter exactly how you want it.

he was speaking of the front matter only -- the title page and so on. The main body of the work uses the standard features and styles of the given document class.

Bruce