Jim Rockford wrote:
Hello : this is probably more of a latex issue than Lyx, but I would like to
do this quickly in Lyx, so...

What I want is a neatly formatted set of relations like

a < S < b
c < T < d

and so forth.  I just need the analog of the usual "3 column" equation array
environment so that the various inequality symbols match up properly.  In
the above example I want 5 columns instead of the usual 3.  I tried to use
the AMS align environment, but had trouble adding the columns (the results
came out with way too much spacing).

How do I do this in Lyx?

Thanks,
Jim

One possibility: use the AMS Alignat environment with *four* columns and leave the third column empty. So, using | to denote column breaks:

a | <S | | <b
c | <T | | <d

/Paul