On May 4, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Jim Rockford wrote:

Hello : this is probably more of a latex issue than Lyx, but I would like to
do this quickly in Lyx, so...

What I want is a neatly formatted set of relations like

a < S < b
c < T < d

and so forth. I just need the analog of the usual "3 column" equation array environment so that the various inequality symbols match up properly. In the above example I want 5 columns instead of the usual 3. I tried to use the AMS align environment, but had trouble adding the columns (the results
came out with way too much spacing).

How do I do this in Lyx?

You could use an array in a regular equation environment. Then you have more control over alignment of each column in the array.