On 2009-05-11, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> Am Monday 11 May 2009 13:16:44 schrieb Dominik Waßenhoven:

> so I should export my bib file from Jabref in ISO-8599-1 for bibtex.

this depends (see below).

The save bet would be to export clean ASCII which LyX/LaTeX/BibTeX always
understand and use LaTeX constructs for non-ASCII characters.

> And Lyx accepts the ISO-8599-1 code?

This depends on the setting of Document>Settings>Language>Encoding.

LyX just passes it to LaTeX. But the encoding should match the rest of
the document.

As your *.bib database might be used with different documents, possibly
in different encodings, the save bet is to use ASCII only.

> What does Lyx do if it gets non- ISO-8599-1 coded characters in the aux-file?

In the worst case, it does not produce an output file without any visible
error message.

>> Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>> > so lyx expects the ISO-8599-1 encoding of the references, and not utf8?

>> No, LyX could handle utf8, but BibTeX can't. See the explanation by
>> Philipp Lehman on comp.text.tex, Message-ID:
>> <5c8mclf2uqc9...@mid.uni-berlin.de>
>> (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/8aefd925c735c842)

> He talks about UTF8, not utf8, as I see.

This should not make any difference.
Capitalization in emails is sometimes inconsistent.

Günter