I removed from my computer LyX 1.5.4, then did an install of 1.6.2 using
the file

LyX-1.6.2-1-Installer-Bundle.exe

file on my WinXP SP3 system, and then loaded a file which had been
processed with LyX 1.5.4, and I obtained the dreaded message of

LyX: Document class not available

which includes the text

"The layout file requested by this document, llncs.layout, is not usable.
This is probably because a LaTeX class or style file required by it is not
available.  See the Customization documentation for more information.
LyX will not be able to produce output."

Now, it happens that the file llncs.layout is found in the directory

c:/Program Files/LyX16/Resources/layouts

Hence, I don't know what to make of the error message.

What am I missing?  I looked in the archives, and found statements
there which suggest that this problem was corrected in version 1.2.0

My experience is that LyX generally works well, even if a few gotcha's
occur early in the process.  Since I have used LyX for only one paper,
and that about one year ago, I don't remember many details of the
gotcha's I then faced, nor how to overcome them.

William R. Buckley