I just did that and I noticed a few differences.  LyX is adding the
following lines that are not in the LaTeX file and I'm not sure where they
are coming from.

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{babel}

The only other difference I can see is that LyX has

\documentclass[twocolumn,english]{article}

where the LaTex has

\documentclass[twocolumn]{article}