Hi,

the most effective way (as far as I know) to customise float capions is to
use the package caption which provides several options.
I use it in connection withLyX and the KOMA script report class and I obtain
what I want.
If it is not included in your LaTeX distribution you can download it from:
 http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/caption/
and install in your computer.

Then in you preamble you should put the following lines:

\usepackage{caption}
\captionsetup[table]{format=plain,skip=\medskipamount} % for tables
\captionsetup[figure]{format=plainskip=\medskipamount} %for figures

Check the documentation with all the options you can use at
http://www.ctan.org/get/macros/latex/contrib/caption/caption-eng.pdf

Best wishes

Pierfranco