On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 03:15:12PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> And yet... running XP wouldn't stop me using the latest Lyx on windows
> so it's somewhat funny that a similar situation holds true for Ubuntu.

Actually nothing stops you from compiling the latest LyX release on
the Ubuntu release in question and use it. It's just not click&run.
That's the price of diversity you pay for a more open operating system.
There is a benefit you get when you pay for a more closed plattform like
Windows or Mac OS (in this case: as long as there are community members
carring to provide builds - so thank the people doing the work).

Cheers,
Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak