On 23/10/2009, at 3:34 AM, Florian Rubach wrote:

Anthony Campbell schrieb:
I'm thinking of publishing in ebook form via Smashwords, who
unfortunately demand Word format. I'm on Linux and as far as I can see after a fair amount of googling the only practical way of doing this is
to produce a plain text (txt) version from Lyx, import it into the
Openoffice WP, and save it as a .doc file from there.

Does anyone know a better way?

Anthony
The most accurate way I found until now (working even for complicated
documents) is exporting the document to pdf and then submitting it to
www.pdftoword.com.
I don't know if you are comfortable with giving away your document to a
site where I wasn't able to find any statement about the security of
your data, but the results look stunningly good and are even well editable.

Florian

I just used this service, and it's not bad! For some strange reason though, my inline (ex-pdf or png) images were destroyed. Also, there were a few other strange artefacts in formatting. Also note that it took about 3 hours before it finished processing for me (it emails you the results), so don't use it if you are in a hurry!

From the site:
The PDF files you upload for conversion are deleted straight after being converted. The DOC/RTF files we generate are deleted immediately after we email you them. At no stage are your files looked at or touched by the administrator of our PDF-to-Word service.