> http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/FiguresSideBySide
>
> I've been using this trick to typeset code examples and latex output and
> I've been very happy so far.

Thanks. Both of these solution (minipages, subfigures) are similar to what
I have been doing so far, placing two figures (graphics) together inside a
float.
However, what I hoped for was a package that automatically would place
two floats side by side, if it fits on the width of the page.

The issue is like this: suppose you want figures side by side just to
save space. So, you group unrelated figures together. But, then
if you move sections around you may have to regroup figures. Or
if you change to a two column layout, you will have to ungroup
figures again. This can easily be done in the final layout, but
it's not very elegant, and it is not in the spirit of LaTeX, where
the author should care about contents, not formatting.