This is possibly more of a latex question. Is there some packet
that can place figures side by side? I know of wrap figure, but I have
never made it work very well. I always have to manually manipulate
the figure placement and settings, which is somewhat contrary to
the idea of LyX/LaTeX.

I'm asking for something more modest. In Latex,
as far as I can see, a figure always takes up the whole
width of a page (or column).

What I want is figures that have less width, and are then AUTOMATICALLY
placed side-by-side (e.g., in groups of two). I don't need text to wrap
around, just the figures grouped and placed side-by-side.

There is the package subfig, which does something like that, but
that requires manually grouping figures.