> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:08:08 -0500
> Von: "E. Kaplan" <ehud.kap...@mssm.edu>
> An: Lyx <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
> Betreff: launching Lyx 1.6.5
>
>         I installed Lyx 1.6.5 on a Windows XP laptop, using the
> altinstaller
> (the only one I could find for Windows that had 1.6.5).  Before I
> installed it, I uninstalled the  previous version, 1.6.4.  When I try to
> launch Lyx, a DOS window flashes once or twice, and disappears.  Lyx
> never appears.
> It shouldn't be THAT  tricky, should it?
The altinstaller usually hides the console window. As the first start of
Lyx can take massive amounts of time (depending on your machine and the
number of already installed latex packages), it may seem like nothing is
happening for quite a while.
You can try opening your task manager and look out for processes like
"initexmf.exe", which would indicate that miktex is working on installing
packages required for lyx.

> Help, please!
I hope that helps

> EK