Dear Uwe,
Thanks for your help.

  1. I got the error when I was in the C:\program files\Lyx 1.6.5\bin
     directory.
  2. Lyx.exe resides in that same directory
  3. As far as I know, no other Lyx is installed on either one of the
     two XP systems where the alitnstaller fails (I removed Lyx before
     the installation using the Windows Add or Remove Programs tool)
  4. I tried to redirect the output of the cmd window to a file, but
     even though the file opens, nothing is ever written to it, so I
     cannot send you the log-- it is empty.  The Task manager shows the
     Lyxlauncher to be running, but it seems to be doing nothing.
  5. Miktex was originally installed on my machine and worked without
     any problems (using Lyx, Winedt, etc.)  I removed and reinstalled
it when the altinstaller failed. 6. The path to latex.exe is: c:\program files\miktex 2.8\miktex\bin

EK

Ehud Kaplan, Ph.D.
Jules and Doris Stein /Research to Prevent Blindness/ Professor
*The laboratory of Visual & Computational Neuroscience*
Depts. of Neuroscience, Ophthalmology, Chemical & Structural Biology
The Mount Sinai School of Medicine
One Gustave Levy Place
New York, NY, 10029

Uwe Stöhr wrote:
EK schrieb:

It still did /*not */work.  The response from running:
lyx -dbg 3 was: Lyx is not recognized as an internal or external command.. etc.

When calling
lyx -dbg 3
from the console, are you already in the folder where the lyx.exe file resides? "Lyx is not recognized as an internal or external command" is the error message when you e.g. called lyx from C:\hello while lyx.exe is e.g. in C:\Programs\LyX 1.6.4 Can you please try it again and send me the whole log you get in the console when calling LyX?

Where does the lyx.exe reside?

Some general questions: Are you sure that no other LyX version is installed on your system? Where is MiKTeX 2.8 installed (what is the path to the latex.exe)?

regards Uwe