Hi,

I too have observed that the \includeonly command doesn't work and I would
be very interested in knowing if there is a way to use it in LyX.

For now, a very simple suggestion for Peter consists in compiling from the
master file but only after including in a LyX note the chapters he doesn't
want to compile:
1. highlight with the mouse the name of the file listed in the master file;
2. click on the LyX note icon in the command bar: the name of the file is
now included in a LyX note and will not be sent to pdflatex for compilation
3. etc. for every file not to be compiled. Only names of files that must be
compiled remain unchanged.

This always works perfectly.
pierfranco