Hello

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Helge Hafting <helge.haft...@hist.no> wrote:
> So:
>
> When you want a one-piece table, use a table inside a float.
>
> When you want a table that can break across pages, use a longtable
> without the float.
>
> And if you want several tables so that the page can break
> between them, put each table into a float of its own.
>
> If you want two tables together without a page break between them,
> put them in the same float.
>
> With these rules, no ERT is necessary. (I.e. LyX is fine as-is.)
> Are you trying to do something unusual?

Yes, it seems so. These days I had to deal with tables that stretched
easily over two pages, prompting the use of "longtable". However,
there were too many of them, hence the need for grouping. The standard
approaches that you described no longer applied.

> I guess your ERT is there to get the captions you want? It seems

Yes.

> risky putting floats in between tables,

I don't think I'm doing this.

> because the floats
> might float somewhere else and that would look wrong.

The "longtable" construct is using [H] ("Here definitely" placement)
for the "caption float", while "longtable"  is used for the rest of
the (sub-)tables.  And all these are wrapped in
\begin{subtables}
[..]
\end{subtables}

This allows for grouping several long-tables under one caption,
something not immediately obvious in LaTeX (or LyX). Perhaps this is
not a frequent case, but it might arise from time to time.