In the koma script book documentation I (a pure newby) find these
instructions:

         With   the standard classes book and report a chapter title
consists of a line with the word “Chapter”1 followed by the chapter
number. The title itself s set left-justified on the following lines.
The same effect is obtained in KOMA-Script with the class option
chapterprefix. The default however is chapterprefix=false. These options
also affect the automatic running titles in the headers

But I don't understand where to put this chapterprefix=true command,
which is what I assume I need to get "Chapter 1" etc. I tried putting it
in the preamble via document < settings, but that didn't work.

Grateful for help

Richard