Am 15.01.2010 13:28, schrieb Richard Brown:

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 13:09 +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Hmm, what is your document class, what version of KOMA-script?

The document class is BOOK (Koma script) and the version of Koma script
is the default I have with my installation of Lyx 1.5.3.

LyX is independent of the LaTeX-packages and document classes.
Your version of LyX is nevertheless not the latest one (LyX 1.6.5), but this
cannot be the problem.

> The following
info is cut-and-pasted from the Latex log- I presume this is what you
asked me for? (I'm very new to this and am flying at sight...)

Document Class: scrbook 2006/07/30 v2.95b KOMA-Script document class
(book)

This version is 3.5 quite old and might contain a bug.

I'm using
 Document Class: scrbook 2009/07/24 v3.04a KOMA-Script document class (book)

and when adding the document class option
 chapterprefix=true
I correctly get the word "chapter" in front of the chapter number at the page
where the chapter starts.

If nothing helps, update your LaTeX distribution to TeXLive 2009 or at least
2008.

regards Uwe