It would appear that on Jan 15, Helge Hafting did say:

> Very good explanation - could you file in the bug tracker, where the
> developers will find it? URL:
> http://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/BugTrackerHome

OK! Just did that. was going to paste the the ticket number here but I
forgot that nowadays a write to vim's internal buffer tends to overwrite
the mouse based clipboard. And I made the mistake of trimming down the
excessive quoted material with dd before  middle clicking in insert mode.
And right now I don't have time to go search for it... Got things to do
before my lady gets home.... Bye!

But in any case, it's in there somewhere.