From: Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 12:39:45 PM
Subject: Re: Lyx 2.0

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> But is there a tentative date for a version of Lyx that includes
> continuous spelling? Or will it come with version 2.0?
>
> I don't think I am the only one who has been fervently waiting for this
> feature for quite some time. (Or so I hope. I can't be the only typing-
> challenged user...)

Stefano,

  Please allow a contrarian opinion. While I'm a touch-typist and do hit the
wrong keys on occasion, I _strongly_ dislike runtime spell checking as well
as any other intrusive corrections. I find it quite distracting whether
typing from hand-written text or creating anew. I also don't like software
that pretends to be smarter than I am by, for example, automatically
changing case after punctuation. It cannot recognize abbreviations or other
contexts where an uppercase letter is inappropriate.

  When I'm done for a bit I'll manually check spelling (unless I forget, of
course), but much prefer to determine when it's done.

  If there's a switch to turn off continuous checking I'll have no issues;
it'll just be another "feature" for me to disable.

Rich

-- Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility