Erez Yerushalmi schrieb:

When I use the \underbar I get an error message.  See them below.
In math box, I type
\underbar{x}
\underbar{\alpha}

You don't need the braces, just press Spacebar to finish a command. For more info about formulas, have a look at the Math manual that you find in the Help menu of LyX.

What I get is the following.
First, x is italics.

This is correct. Variables are italic in math. That's the common typesetting rule.

Second, OK, x comes with underbar, *but* pdf is not italic.

You need to use \underline instead of \underbar. You can alternatively use the corresponding math toolbar button to achieve this.

Third, crashes with the following errors:

$x$ $\underbar{x}$ $\underbar{\alpha}
$

I've inserted a begin-math/end-math symbol since I think
you left one out. Proceed, with fingers crossed.

If this problem persits, please provide a _small_ LyX example file.

regards Uwe