Guenter Milde <mi...@...> writes:
> There are two ways to "get the old cyrillic letters into LyX":
>
> a) enhance the "unicodesymbols" file that defines LaTeX replacements, or
>
> b) use XeTeX with a Unicode font that contains the required characters.
>
> For a)
>   we need to know the LaTeX replacement code, i.e. a working LaTeX file
>   that can serve as example and/or documentation about writing
>   old orthography/church slavonic with LaTeX.
>
>   Most probably the symbols are already present and easily accessible
>   in LaTeX and only need to be added to the unicodesymbols file.
>   Look in the font encodings guide (encguide.pdf) for the symbol and in
>   cyoutenc.pdf for the corresponding LaTeX command.
>   In this case you can even do this in your local configuration: copy
>   "unicodesymbols" from the system LYXDIR to your personal LYXDIR
>   (~/.lyx on unix) and add the definitions.
>
>   A similar job has been done for old (polytonic) Greek recently.
>
> For b)
>   there are many suitable Unicode fonts (Gentium, Libertine,
>   OldStandard come to my mind). Using XeTeX with LyX is described in
>   the wiki (search for XeTeX at http://wiki.lyx.org). The next LyX
>   release comes with greatly improved XeTeX support.

Dear Guenter,

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

It seems that XeTeX is indeed a feasible way to print some old-orthography
Russian letters. And this is great!

However, a more ambitious task, which is similar to enabling Greek polytonic,
would be to enable the true Church Slavonic in LyX, which would be amazingly
useful. Church Slavonic looks quite different to ordinary Russian (a sample of
Church Slavonic can bee seen on Wikipedia, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Csl-luke20.png), and is rich in diacritics, so
it requires its own fonts, such as Irmologion or Triodion (can be seen here -
http://www.irmologion.ru/fonts.html).

I am not sure Church Slavonic characters are included in Unicode. What I know,
however, is that attempts have been made to create TeX packages that make it
possible to typeset in Church Slavonic - one such package is HipTeX
(http://www.sobor.org/hip/); another (and supposedly better one, since it is
more recent and avoids certain drawbacks of HipTeX) is CSLTeX
(http://sites.google.com/site/csltex/). They can be downloaded by clicking the
zip files, but, unfortunately, documentation to both of them is in Russian. Can
these developments be somehow incorporated in LyX?

Andrey