On 2010-03-22, rgheck wrote:
> On 03/22/2010 05:30 AM, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Jose Quesada<ques...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Let me try to motivate this feature.
>>> 1- It's trivial to implement it, and then make it optional.

NO:

>> And your regex hits things that are *not* sentence starts, e. g. this
>> example, which includes abbreviations e. g. like e. g.

> Which is one of the major problems with autocaps. Yes, you can have some
> list of exceptions, but then you need a list of exceptions to the
> exceptions.

This gets even more and more complicated if you want to do this for
all languages LyX supports.

>>> 2- The only way to check whether you have missed a capital is by loading all
>>> your lyx files on a text editor that supports regex and painfully check
>>> results of \.\s+[a-z] one by one. Not efficient.

LyX 2.0 will come with regexp-search.

>>> 3- I hate to do keyboard combos. they are bad for rsi and slower overall.
>>> Autocapitalization would save thousands of those a month.

However, there is a big difference whether you need to press
Alt-something or Shift-letter, as the latter is in a suitable place
(from the old typewriter days).

Besides: in German, wherea all Nouns are capitalized, the Saving
would be about ten Percent maximum.

>>> say copy-paste from browsers. keeping basic formatting (headings, bold)
>>> would be good.,

> As he said, this is highly non-trivial. And the better the website, the
> harder it is, since a good website will use semantic markup that is
> styled by CSS. Then what do you do?

Of course transform semantic markup to semantic markup.  This implies
that the website uses "really good" markup (text with HTML markup
indicating its logical structure), not CSS-styled <div> and <span> soups.

With native HTML export, native HTML import seems like a logical
extension.

Günter