Hi Rob,

I'm not sure that I follow what you're trying to accomplish.  Do you
need your figures to appear in text, or do you need them to appear at
the end of your document after the references section?  (The way that
many biomedical journals specify an article must be submitted.)

And what do you mean, by "the default order isn't what I want."
Typically figures are printed in the order that they appear in the
document.  If you are doing fancy things with wrap-floats, that can
throw the ordering of the figures off; but otherwise, whatever order you
specify in your document should be the order they appear.

Which means, that if you need them at the end of your document, then
that is where I would place them (after the bibliography).  You can then
refer to them in the text by using a tag + cross-reference.

If you need them to appear in your text at a particular position, then
that is where you should place the float.  There are ways to make floats
go to the end of a document and arrange themselves into separate figures
and tables sections, but it involves resetting LaTeX values and some
ugly hackery.

Cheers,

Rob