On 09/16/2010 04:26 AM, Justin Wood wrote:
Is it possible to control the format of cross references to labels so that I can specify the text prepended to the label number? I realise LyX automagically adds 'chapter', 'section', 'subsection', and 'Figure', most of which are fine. But normally I would prefer to simply use 'section' for actual subsections too.

/Formatted reference/ looks to be the place to do this, but I've not been able to find \prettyref's implementation sufficiently documented for LyX,

There's no special LyX documentation. We just use prettyref as LaTeX would.

and what I have found seems to strongly imply it's use should be avoided.

Where's that? There are some issues with prettyref, mostly to do with internationalization and babel support. That's why 2.0 will by default use refstyle instead, we hope.

Nonetheless I tried inserting the \prettyref name definition to my LaTeX preamble and it did work, but... the text is being prepended to the LyX 'section 1.1', 'subsection 1.1.1', etc, rather than /replacing/ it.

What prettyref command did you use? Prettyref itself predefines several of these things, but you should be able to redefine them yourself.

Richard