On 2010-09-21, Påvel Nicklasson wrote:
> Hello again!
> I asked earlier about how to handle Swedish letters in lyx/bibtex:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg82909.html. The
> solution works fine. Now I have run into a similar problem. I have several
> authors with different non English characters in their names. How do I get
> them sorted in correct order in the Lyx bibliography? An example is:

> 1. Author: Schött
> 2. Author: Schück

> In Sweden ö is the last character in the alphabet and Schött should thus
> be sorted after Schück. The output file in Lyx does it the other way
> around, like above.
> Schött is written: {Harald Sch{"o}tt} in the .bib file
> Schück is written: {Henrik Sch{\"{u}}ck} in the .bib file

> I have several similar cases. Swedish seems to be a hard language to use
> with bibtex.

Indeed. You could try if there is a "swedish ..." style that solves
this for you, or you can help bibtex, e.g. with the suggestion from
btxdoc.pdf:

  in the database (*.bib) file:

  @PREAMBLE{ "\newcommand{\noopsort}[1]{} "
         # "\newcommand{\singleletter}[1]{#1} " }

  author = {{\noopsort{Harald Sch~tt}}Harald Sch{\"o}tt}
  . . .
  author = {Henrik Sch{\"u}ck}

LaTeX will then ignore the \noopsort, but BibTeX will use it for
sorting.

Hej,

Günter