Hello,
I am trying to install LyX but am having trouble getting the LyX .cls and
.sty files to install properly:

"Cannot run texhash command to update TeX installation. Please run
manually." (installation report below)

I followed the instructions and ran the following at the command prompt:
>sudo texhash

I am able to write LyX files.  However, when I try to import a LaTeX file
with very simple contents:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Test
\end{document}

I receive the following error:
"

The layout file requested by this document,

article.layout,

is not usable. This is probably because a LaTeX

class or style file required by it is not

available. See the Customization documentation

for more information.

LyX will not be able to produce output.

"

 I have been using vim and the command line to edit documents, but am
interested in LyX as an alternative. However, what would be the correct
converter definition to use LyX to compose then export to LaTeX so
collaborators who only use LaTeX have access to the .tex output?  Does the
output necessarily require the lyx style and classes to be present?

Thank you for the help.
_______
Installation report:
a1. Removing obsolete files ....

... Done removing obsolete files.

2. Testing to see if old LyX user's folder should be moved to new location

... Done moving LyX user's directory to new location.

3. (No preferences file found at ~/Library/'Application Support'/LyX-1.6/.)

4. Installing default LyX templates ....

• Successfully copied default templates to new user's directory

... Done installing default LyX templates.

5. Installing LyX's special LaTeX files ....

• Found TeX installation at .

• Local TeX directory set to ~/Library/texmf.

• Installed LyX's additional LaTeX .cls and .sty files.

*** ERROR: Cannot run texhash command. Please run manually.

... Done.