As Steve said, the Description environment seems to be the right starting
point to do what I want to do. Two follow-up questions:

1) Where do I find the source code for the description environment so that I
can modify it (sorry, I know, I'm a complete newbie at this)?

2) Furthermore, once I have the source code, let's assume I can modify it to
get what I want. Even then, where do I "put" this new code in order to make
the new "bold-first-line" paragraph environment available in all of my lyx
document classes? (And is there a risk that I might screw up my entire lyx
installation if I do it wrong!)

Now a comment on Ingar's suggestion: It works, but there are two issues:
First, in the PDF output (using pdflatek) there's too much space between the
first, bold sentence and the second non-bold sentence (looks like about 3 or
maybe even 4 times the "usual" amount of space between sentences in pdflatex
paragraph output). Second, although it's a clever kludge and certainly much
easier than manually highlighting the first sentence and bold-ing it, it
would be even easier and most efficient if this could all be done with one
style command rather than two.

Once again, thanks for any follow-up advice you might have.

Best Wishes,
Joel

----