On Thursday 10 March 2011 15:05:03 Rob Oakes wrote:
> > This is just one man's opinion, but I never use the document class's
> > features for the front matter. I just use custom environments and ERT
> > (embedded LaTeX) to place all elements of the front matter -- the title,
> > the author, the cover image, the copyright page, the dedication and
> > acknowledgements, the "here's how you use this book", the "about the
> > author", etc. The way I see it, every element of the frontmatter is a
> > one-off thing, and one-off things are ideal for fingerpainting.
>
> I actually go one step further. I crate all of the frontmatter using a
> matching stylesheet in Scribs. I then add the material using PDFpages.
>
> To that end, I also disable the \maketitle macro so that I can still use
> \author, \title, etc. and have all of my headers and footers look correct.
>
> \renewcommand{\maketitle}{}

Pretty slick! I'm gonna do that from now on (diable maketitle, not necessarily
build frontmatter in Scribus). The thing is, every eBook I sell is
personalized with the customer's name, so it has to be built on the spot, and
I'm not sure I want to have that dependent on Scribus as well as LyX/LaTeX.

Thanks for the great idea!

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package