On Friday 11 March 2011 17:37:43 Charlie wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:05:03 -0700
>
> Rob Oakes <lyx-de...@oak-tree.us> wrote:
> > > This is just one man's opinion, but I never use the document
> > > class's features for the front matter. I just use custom
> > > environments and ERT (embedded LaTeX) to place all elements of the
> > > front matter -- the title, the author, the cover image, the
> > > copyright page, the dedication and acknowledgements, the "here's
> > > how you use this book", the "about the author", etc. The way I see
> > > it, every element of the frontmatter is a one-off thing, and
> > > one-off things are ideal for fingerpainting.
> >
> > I actually go one step further. I crate all of the frontmatter using
> > a matching stylesheet in Scribs. I then add the material using
> > PDFpages.
> >
> > To that end, I also disable the \maketitle macro so that I can still
> > use \author, \title, etc. and have all of my headers and footers look
> > correct.
> >
> > \renewcommand{\maketitle}{}
>
> Tried your good idea Rob:
> Created a front page
> and used Insert->File->External Material
> Inserted the .pdf document, but couldn't get it to be placed on the
> first page in either article (KOMA-Script) or book (KOMA-Script)
>
> It always inserted onto page 2 - obviously missing something or doing
> something wrong.
>
> Could you please give me a hint what that might be.
>
> As always - Thanks in advance,
> Charlie

Hi Charlie,

My bad. I knew that would be an issue and forgot to talk about it. I solved
this with something like the following:

\frontmatter\thispagestyle{empty}\setcounter{page}{1}
\enlargethispage{1.50in}
~\\[-1.7in]\leftskip -1.83in\rightskip -1.0in

You have to enlarge the page a little bit, and then you need to center the PDF
just right. Obviously your numbers will be a little different than mine.

I think you might need to \usepackage{setspace} to get it done right, or maybe
another style -- I don't remember.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt