Thanks to you both. It worked. I had not thought to check in the document
settings as I assumed it was a global setting, but now I think about it, it
makes sense to be in the document settings. Because the default is a global
preference perhaps it would make sense for one to be able to change the
default setting also in one or two other places - such as in the spell
checker window or within the global preferences. That is my philosophy
anyway: that there should often be more than one way to do the same thing.
Cheers!