On Saturday 02 April 2011 11:03:00 Julien Rioux wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 9:55 AM, Bruce Pourciau wrote:
> > A journal has the tex file I exported from my lyx file. Their editing
> > process goes like this: they mark places in that tex file where they
> > want revisions, attach it to an email to me, I make the revisions in
> > that marked up tex file and send it back to them.
> >
> > Now I'm comfortable working with LyX, but not at all comfortable working
> > with a tex file directly. I'm worried that I'll make errors in the
> > editing process and that it will take me much longer to make revisions,
> > if I have to work with the tex file directly. I know I can import the
> > tex file they send me -- a revision of the original tex file generated
> > by my lyx file -- but if I do this, make the changes they want in lyx,
> > and then export a tex file, can I be sure that this would result in the
> > same tex file that would have resulted from working directly on the tex
> > file they sent me?
> >
> > A second question: this journal does accept Word file submissions, but
> > they much prefer tex files (naturally). I imagine that the editing
> > process is different for Word submissions, probably more like what I
> > would prefer: they tell me what they want changed, I make the changes in
> > LyX, and then send them a new tex file exported from my revised lyx
> > file, even if that exported tex file is different (due to the
> > import/export process, not just the revisions) from the tex file that
> > would have resulted from working on the tex file directly. In this
> > process, my lyx document is always the final say on the state of the ms
> > at any time, at least until I send them the final tex file at the end of
> > the process. I'm tempted to write back to the editors and say that I
> > want my manuscript to enjoy the editing process of a Word submission. Do
> > you think that's justified?
> >
> > Bruce
>
> Save yourself from the tex -> lyx -> tex cycle, as it is known to be
> incomplete. So I see two ways forward (not counting the Word alternative)
>
> 1) Use your original LyX file. Always only modify the original LyX file,
> and use .tex at the last stage (export). For this method, you will first
> need to figure out what is different, between the .tex file you sent to
> the editors, and the .tex file you received from them. Identify those
> changes and make the same changes in your LyX file. Then identify the
> things they want you to change, and make the changes in your LyX file.
> When done, export to .tex and send the file.
>
> 2) Just go with editing the .tex file. At the editing stage, you will
> only be changing a few sentences here and there anyway. If you need to
> modify math formulas and are intimidated by this, fire up LyX with a new
> file, write down how the formula should look like, open the View>Source
> panel, and copy/paste to your .tex file.

3) Ask your editors if, just possibly, they might use LyX on their end. Who
knows, they might like it. For all the reasons you mention, if I were a
professional editor I'd HATE working directly in LaTeX, and I'd LOVE working
in LyX, always assuming I could agree with the author on which LyX version.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US