Actually, latex is perfectly fine with the class being in the same
directory as the .tex file.  We routinely use this feature when
collaborating. Using a class never requires running sudo texhash.

And this is really crucial for me. My coworkers expect that we share a
directory, and whatever's in there just compiles. No texhash, no
configuring, nothing. That is the way we use regular latex documents.

Niko

--
http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
twitter.com/nes1983