On 5/9/2011 8:08 PM, Diego Queiroz wrote:

    The question now is that whether Lyx stores all the settings files
    in the installation directory itself, and not use registry (for
    windows, etc). Perhaps one of the developers could have answer to
    this more specific question.

LyX uses the user directory by default and doesn't use the Windows register. AFAIK the directory is defined in the compilation process and there's no way to achieve this without changing the code.

I am not able to fully understand the part
"the directory is defined in the compilation process and there's no way to achieve this without changing the code".

I have following facts:

1. During installation, in Windows OS, I am able to change the directory of installation during installation.

2. I recently changed my computer, but attached the old hard disk to the current one. I ran the Lyx that I had been installed in that hard disk. It runs perfectly well. But with one difference. It opened all the files that was open when I closed the application that is currently installed in the new computer. So some common data specific to the user is being accessed from some common area specific to the user for Lyx1.6. This user profile data set location is different for Lyx 2.0 and Lyx 1.6.

So this means that whatever changes that was required in this regard when moving from Lyx 1.6 to Lyx 2.0 may be reimplemented so that all the settings files are stored in the LyX installation folder itself for a portable version.

Just as in the software called "IrfanView" image viewer, we could provide an option of storing the common data in a user profile directory or in the installation directory itself. In the latter case, installation directory becomes self contained and portable. This can be handy if the computer is used by only one person.

Thanks.
Regards
Ganesh

Mail scanned by Amrita GAV Server