----- Mail Original -----
De: "Steve Litt" <sl...@troubleshooters.com>
À: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Envoyé: Jeudi 12 Mai 2011 20h47:26 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome
/ Stockholm / Vienne
Objet: Knowing everything: was Chapters beginning on even pages

On Thursday 12 May 2011 13:02:01 Richard Heck wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 11:56 AM, Alain DIDIERJEAN wrote:
> > I'm working on a book. Consist of "ordinary" text and poems, each
> > poem having to be in its own chapter. I'd like these chapters to
> > start on odd or even page, without eventually leaving blank
> > pages between them. How to achieve that ?
>
> Add the option "openany" to the class options under
> Document>Settings.
>
> rh

See Richard, you and probably 20 other people on this list ALWAYS know
what's available. I've used Openany but didn't remember it. People
regularly reply to a question "How do I make it do such and such?",
you guys reply "oh, you just \usepackage{so_and_so}" and you're right,
it works. You guys have spectacular memories.

Frustrating for me is I have no such memory, and unless I can review
all my layout files and find an answer, I'll have to re-ask the
question. CTAN is no help because it lists hundreds of packages, but
not by function. For whatever reason Google ends up listing solutions
like I do -- writing a bunch of LaTeX to do the job because the author
didn't know about a simple package.

I'm thinking if there's a way we can create a document that lists
packages and other little tricks (openany for instance) **BY
FUNCTIONALITY**, newbies stand a fighting chance, people like me can
remember in a matter of minutes rather than hours (or worse yet,
reinventing the wheel), and people like you will get less of the same
old questions.

I think the format of this resource should be a single web page with
lots of links, arranged in a hierarchy. A good example is my Linux
Library page:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/index.htm

The beautiful thing about this page is you can either drill down, or
if that doesn't work, you can search the single page for keywords.

Another wonderful thing about it is it's actually maintained as a tab
indented outline (by VimOutliner or Emacs org mode or with any text
editor). So adding a new resource is almost instantaneous. Then you
just run an export program that turns it into an HTML page. In my
opinion this is much cleaner, easier, and faster than the traditional
Wiki page.

If you guys want to do it this way I'll be glad to give you the source
for Linux Library's HTML export, and I'll modify it so that for each
group you see the navigation down to it. I'll also take a primary role
in putting this hierarchical list of links together and pointing to
existing documentation resources, and maybe writing some new ones for
the project.

If we do this, people with great memories won't be the only ones who
know everything, and people with great memories will have much more
time to do real work rather than ask repetitive questions.

Bright idea. I support it.

--

        Alain DIDIERJEAN      Puisque ces mystères nous dépassent
                           Feignons d'en être l'organisateur