When I copy text from a pdf to the clipboard and paste into Word 95, Open Office or Abiword, the pasted text retains underlining, bolding and emphasis (italics). When I paste into LyX these are lost. It would be a real enhancement if LyX were to retain these styles. Is there a deep reason for LyX's failure here (or the even deeper reason of lack of an interested developer)?

At present, I have some journals to edit. The publisher sent them to me as pdf documents. I find I can copy a pdf and paste into Abiword, then save from Abiword as a Latex document, open that in Notepad++, find-&-replace all the extra spacing commands, and finally import that document into LyX. I get there in the end, but it's a roundabout process.

Andrew