On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 09, 2011 03:35:24 AM Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Steve Litt
>> > What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Ubuntu ships the wrong version. See this recent discussion [1][2].
>> See these instructions [3] on how to push the update to your
>> system (never tried it). Alternatively, Rainer and Rob have come
>> up with a PPA containing LyX 2.0.0. Contact me off-list for the
>> link.
>>
>> Regards
>> Liviu
>
> LyX is probably the #2 most important application in my business
> (VimOutliner is #1). It's important enough that I'm willing to compile
> my own,

The SRU solution above (link [3]) seems easy to deploy..

> always assuming that there's a 2.x version that compiles well
> on Ubuntu 11.04. What do you think is the best, most solid, most
> tested LyX 2.x right now?

Probably the only one available, 2.0.0. I've compiled this version on
10.04 without any issues.

> Probably over half the time from 2001 til now my LyX was self-compiled
> rather than package installed.

..but if you're OK with building, this should be straightforward:
apt-get build-dep lyx
 ./configure --with-version-suffix=-svn --enable-build-type=release
make
make install

You may freely omit '--with-version-suffix=-svn', but then make sure
to uninstall the LyX shipped by Ubuntu. If you need spelling support,
I would also check that libaspell-dev, libhunspell-dev and
libenchant-dev are installed.

Regards
Liviu