On 07/23/2011 05:59 AM, Peter Kohlert wrote:
>> It sounds to me like a bug in that software, something like a bad
>> regular expression that is catching too much text. FYI, I'm guessing the
>> "functional characters" are something like the "[=" and "=]" that seem
>> to surround these citations.
>>
>> FWIW, as well, this sounds like a needlessly complicated system. Why not
>> just use a BibTeX editor, or have this program export a BibTeX file, and
>> use that for the references? If you ultimately need a file that has just
>> those references, then you can use the aux2bib program to make one.
>>
>> Richard
>
> Thank you for your reply, Richard. But switching to a different
> bibliography software isn't really an option since I would have to
> replace over 340 references in the text.

If you can write a little Perl script, this is much easier than it sounds.

> I'm now closer to understanding the problem. When I viewed the source
> code in LyX (the LaTeX code) I couldn't see that something in the way
> the files were coded had changed. I used Windows Editor to open the
> two .lyx files, the one before and the one after the compilation, and
> I noticed that the umlauts (I'm writing my paper in German) looked
> normal in the original file (e.g. "ö" and "ü") but in the new file
> they had been transformed into codes (e.g. "ö" and "ü"). Now LyX
> didn't seem to have any problems with the coded umlauts although they
> were different from the original file. But the ordinary looking ones
> that appeared in some of the references generated by Bibliographix
> caused the corresponding text passages to disappear in LyX.
> I googled "ö" and found out that it's UTF-8 code. But I don't know
> what to do with that information.
> Obviously, I can use the replace-function of the Editor to transform
> the umlauts into UTF-8 and I suspect that that's as close to a
> solution as I will get with this problem. But I wonder what caused it.

Probably the program that does the replacement saves the file with a
UTF-8 encoding, though it reads it in whatever it already is. This is
bad, since LaTeX doesn't recognize UTF-8. An option is to use xetex for
the final compilation, which does.

Richard