On 2011-07-23, Richard Heck wrote:

>> I'm now closer to understanding the problem. When I viewed the source
>> code in LyX (the LaTeX code) I couldn't see that something in the way
>> the files were coded had changed. I used Windows Editor to open the
>> two .lyx files, the one before and the one after the compilation, and
>> I noticed that the umlauts (I'm writing my paper in German) looked
>> normal in the original file (e.g. "ö" and "ü") but in the new file
>> they had been transformed into codes (e.g. "ö" and "ü").

Did you open the .lyx files or the .tex files? LyX files are always
Unicode and normally UTF-8 encoded. Modern Unix and Windows systems in
western locales also normally use UTF-8 encoded Unicode for text files.

LyX generated *.tex files can be in any encoding supported by LaTeX: pure
ASCII, latin-1, UTF-8 ...

>> Now LyX
>> didn't seem to have any problems with the coded umlauts although they
>> were different from the original file. But the ordinary looking ones
>> that appeared in some of the references generated by Bibliographix
>> caused the corresponding text passages to disappear in LyX.
>> I googled "ö" and found out that it's UTF-8 code. But I don't know
>> what to do with that information.
>> Obviously, I can use the replace-function of the Editor to transform
>> the umlauts into UTF-8 and I suspect that that's as close to a
>> solution as I will get with this problem. But I wonder what caused it.

> Probably the program that does the replacement saves the file with a
> UTF-8 encoding, though it reads it in whatever it already is.

I rather suppose it's the other way round: the Bibliographix insertions
use an 8-bit encoding wich results in invalid characters if read as UTF-8
by LyX.

Is it possible to set the output encoding with Bibliographix? If not,
there are also several command line programs that can do the "some 8-bit
encoding" -> UTF-8 conversion.

> This is bad, since LaTeX doesn't recognize UTF-8. An option is to use
> xetex for the final compilation, which does.

However, if the problem is really insertions into the *.lyx file these
must be UTF-8 encoded. (LyX will recode them for the latex export.)

Besides, there is also no need to switch to XeTeX for UTF-8 encoded *.tex
files: the UTF-8 encoding is supported by inpuenc. The support is
limited, but German umlauts (actually all latin-1 characters) work fine.
Non-supported characters are translated to a LaTeX command by LyX's
unicodesymbols file.

To use UTF-8 encoding in the LyX-generated *.tex file, set
Document>Settings>Language>Encoding to (*) other Unicode (utf-8).

Günter