Hi Rainer,

That's a good point.  I renamed C:\Documents and
Settings\Ken\Application Data\LyX2.0 to LyX2.0_old and, as you say, a
new one was created on launching LyX.  However the toolbars are still
missing.  So the problem must be elsewhere.

I am logged on a s Limited XP user so I don't know if any changes
would have occurred in the C:\Program Files\LyX20 folder when I was
playing with the user folder.  Where else might I look for the
culprit?

Thanks,
Ken