On 09/12/2011 01:10 PM, Rob Oakes wrote:
Rob Oakes has also done some work along these lines, but starting with
LyX's internal XHTML export.
Yes, and still working on it. For plain vanilla books, LyX does a fantastic job
for exporting to XHTML (and from there to ePub). But there are a couple of
sticking points that aren't quite as polished yet (mostly due to limitations in
the current ePub).

Specifically:

EndNotes and Footnotes are a mess. I'm a little curious as to how eLyXer
handles them. I've written some preliminary support into the branch of LyX I
hack on (https://launchpad.net/lyx-outline). When specified, it converts
FootNotes to EndNotes and places them at the end of the file with a link. I'd
be interested in other strategies for dealing with the content.
Last time I looked, elyxer did pretty much the same sort of thing, but had footnotes styled with things like "float: right;", rather than with the appearing and disappearing act they do in LyX. But the real issue, as we discussed before, is somehow to defer them to the end.

The other thing that I need to add is a method for resampling and downsizing
images, so that you can use LyX to target both Web and Print from the same
copy. Right now, I've been doing that via branches. (With slightly different
layouts for both.) But this results in some duplicated text, which I consider
to be a bad thing.

Eventually, I would like to build in native support for ePub right into LyX.
We've got most of the machinery all ready, but just need to add a UI to it.

Unfortunately, real world work has forced me away from side projects, but it's
something that I'm definitely working on.
I'll see if I can't sort out the footnote issue at some point. Last I thought about it, it didn't seem as hard as I'd thought, since we do have a list of all the footnotes in the TOC....

Richard