On 13. okt. 2011 23:00, Paul Rubin wrote:
For what it's worth, I have LyX installed on three machines (Dell desktop, Dell
laptop, Acer desktop).  All run Linux Mint with the Gnome desktop.  The Dells
are both Intel 32; the Acer is AMD 64.  Both desktops have nVidia displays with
nVidia proprietary drivers.  I'm not sure about the laptop, but I think that too
is nVidia.  I've had no problems with display speed on any of them.

Some nvidia cards may be ok. I can't claim that they all are hopeless, but some are. The situation is weird - a machine capable of playing
light 3D-games with ok framerate, fail to perform for 2D work!
And I don't think LyX/qt is to blame, for LyX is fine on even weaker
computers. :-/

This illustrates the problem with closed drivers. My problem machine
is old - nobody sell that kind of hardware anymore. So no chance
that nvidia will make this card perform according to its potential. There is no money in that. And the open-source people have no
chance without proper documentation...

Helge Hafting