On 29. sep. 2011 02:52, Lisa wrote:
Guenter Milde<milde<at>  users.berlios.de>  writes:

If this main font contains Chinese characters, it should work for Chinese.

If you want to use a different font for Chinese (or any other non-Latin
script) via polyglossia, this needs to be set up in the preamble. By
default, polyglossia is loaded, too, when "use non-TeX fonts" is true, so
you don't need to load it again.

Thanks Günter, yes, if the person I installed Lyx for, sets a main font that can
also display Chinese then they will have no problem. I should have mentioned
that they do not want to use a Unicode / Chinese font as their default text
font.

Then they will have to switch font when dispaying some chinese.

Lyx displays most languages nicely on the screen even when a more limited
default font that does not carry those codepoints is used.
It still displays them nicely with "view in html", and on a Mac for instance, if
you save this as a pdf without doing anything else you will see those languages
rendered nicely. So its a shame that it can't use that font substitution
information that it must know about at some level (in Qt?) to generate some
Latex for the Chinese/Arabic/Russian if the user hasn't supplied any
her/himself.

Qt may do some substitution in order to display something. LyX does not know much about what qt does internally though.

Also, LyX does not know what problems latex/xetex may have with the fonts used. Often, the font used by latex is not the same used for the screen anyway. So the tricks needed for the screen font may not be necessary for latex - or latex may need different tricks where the screen font is ok.

LyX gets many of its advantages from *not* trying to match the screen
to the paper/pdf output. You have probably noticed that the line breaking is different, and that LyX doesn't do page breaking at all on screen. This why LyX can utilize tha advanced line/page breaking of latex, it is so advanced that it'd be too slow to do in real-time for screen contents.

On the other hand, I believe latex logs an error when the font lacks some symbols. LyX could be modified to catch this, and give the user a message recommending a different font. You may want to file
a "wishlist bug" at
http://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/BugTrackerHome

Helge Hafting

Cheers, Lisa.
(p.s. its exactly for occasional use, in our global world, that it would be nice
to have this, rather than for regular multilingual users of Lyx who can choose
their preferred fonts).
(Polyglossia is still at 2010/7/27 (CTAN) which has no Chinese support, is that
right?)