On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net> wrote:

> On 2011-11-21, Anders Host-Madsen wrote:
> > You can hold down the shift key while you use the arrow keys, at
> > least on Mac.
>
> This works but is not the "Emacs way".
>
> The advantage of a "begin-selection" command (lfun) is that you can now use
> any movement function to find the end of the region you want to highlight
> (e.g. find or even advanced find).
> With the Shift-... key approach, this becomes hard to to with some key
> combos
> like Shift-Ctrl-PgUp or impossible with lfuns that do not have a "*-select"
> variant.

Exactly - and as I am using emacs for programming, I grew so used to using
Ctrl+space for mark-on (as it is called in LyX, thanks Jean-Marc) and then
navigaing around as usual, that I seriously missed it in LyX. Now LyX is
even better. By the way: I would recommend trying it out: it so so easy to
accidentally release shift when marking, especially when having to reasd
the text while selecting.

Thanks,

Rainer

> However, AFAIK, this is not implemented in LyX.
>
> Günter

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa