On 02/18/2012 10:56 PM, Les Denham wrote:

Firstly, the version of Linux is not all that important. I've had good
experiences with Ubuntu in the past, but thanks to some idiotic (in my
opinion) decisions recently by the maintainers of both Gnome and KDE
and by Ubuntu for its default desktop, I've given up on Ubuntu, Gnome,
and KDE, all three of which I have used happily in the past. For the
average user now I would recommend Linux Mint (which just works even
more smoothly than Ubuntu) and, for those willing to learn a little or a
lot about what is behind the pretty windows, either Sabayon or Gentoo.
Whichever distro you choose, change the window manager to XFCE or LXDE.

Amen to that. Gnome has, IMNSHO, shot themselves in the foot with a bloated interface that doesn't work on a lot of hardware with their version 3. For that reason, you do need to be careful to not use a distribution that only uses Gnome. It was a long annoying process for me to switch over after an upgrade dumped me into Gnome 3. Xfce is fine, though, so and distribution that allows you to choose will be good. Frankly, I don't know what Kde did, but my advice is to avoid Gnome.

--

David L. Johnson

When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that
your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
                -- LBJ